Sunday, October 16, 2022

Another Early Morning

October 12


It seems to have been particularly difficult coming off this last work cycle.  Even with a four day weekend attached to the end of it.  It is almost 3:30 a.m. I managed to slip out of bed without waking Household-6.  As I write this a mild thunderstorm is rolling through the Leavenworth area, a window open to better listen to it. 


There is a stillness in these early mornings which I enjoy, but many do not understand.  In a way, it is even more still as the cable modem is indicating an outage.  Too often this would be prompting me to try and troubleshoot the problems (well I did unplug it, wait, and plug it back in), but not this morning.  It is better to avoid the cacophony of the Facebook and the outrage of the polemics, at least for the moment. 


Recently I heard a new term: Doomscrolling. As I understand it, the reader scrolls through articles written by thousands of Chicken Littles, and finds it difficult to stop. Perhaps Chicken Little is a bit unfair, but these are both on the political Right and Left. The reader ends up going down the rabbit hole soaking up more and more Doom! 


 I think it may be especially for users of social media accounts who go on to create their own echo chambers, never allowing themselves to hear an opposing thought.  Many who do hear one, immediately scream racism, intolerance, hate, (and don’t forget the phobias!), and go on to block those who have offended. How do you learn to think that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Willow Trees and Whip-Poor-Wills

   Some of my earliest coherent memories are of my grandparent's farm in southeast Missouri. It was located a few miles outside the smal...